Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our 21 month male doggy Dexi has developed the habit of

Our 21 month male doggy Dexi has developed the habit of constantly washing. we have tried various prescribed anti histamine and gabapentin and prozac.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation?
Customer: The only thing that helped was a steroid injection
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: It's a moggy not a doggy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Dexy
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Dexter has this issue.As he responded to steroids, we can assume the overgrooming is linked to itching. Causes can include a flea allergy, environmental allergy, food allergy, bacterial infection etc.Does his skin appear pink or scabby?
Does he go outside?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
To correct you it's a cat not a dog. He has a brother with him who is normal. No scabs but some fur loss on legs. Up to date on flea and worming. He goes in our garden but it is cat secure.
Yes, I appreciate he is a cat.Which product was used for parasites and when?Has Dexter ever had this issue in the past?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Flea Advocate 19th May
Worm 11th may. Don'tk now name
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Has been going on since oct/nov last

That's perfect, thank you.

As he is up to date with Advocate, fleas or mites would be much less likely.

In this case, we would consider allergies to other things such as pollens, dust mites or food.

We would consider allergy blood tests.

It is also sensible to do a food allergy trial by feeding a hydrolysed diet for 8 weeks to see if this helps.

In the mean time, it is important to break the itch scratch cycle which, in his case, likely means starting another course of steroids.

If the skin appears infected, we should also swab it and start the most appropriate treatment (antibiotics, anti fungals or a medicated wash).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your suggestions. We will raise them with our local vet and get back to you if required.

That's great. This window will remain open and you can check back in at any time.

All the very best to Dexy.