Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a border collie cross. He is 9 years old. This

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a border collie cross. He is 9 years old. This morning he was having what seemed to be a fit. We stayed with him for 5 minutes and then he got up and seemed fine although he is still panting and isn't interested in his food. What should I do?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Border Collie also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No he is up and about
JA: Does the Border Collie seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the Border Collie's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything up until now he's been fit and well
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and understand it must have been very worrying to witness.A vet visit is required ASAP. They will examine him, assess his neurological status and run some basic tests such as a blood test.Possible causes would include a liver or kidney disease, toxin ingestion, an infection, a brain tumour etc.The vet has the option to start anti seizures drugs and may also dispense rectal diazepam which can be given at home to stop an active seizure.If another event occurs, it is a good idea to video it if you can.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.