Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

I have a 10 month old labrador and he poos a lot and often.

I have a 10 month old labrador and he poos a lot and often. Usually 4-5 times a day and large quantities. He is now on adult food. He weight around 23/24kgs, small for his age I think. Should I worry?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the Labrador. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The poos in the morning are solid but as the day progresses they get loose and more runny

Hello my name is*****’m a vet in the UK.
What’s is your dogs name? Which food is he now on and how long for? Do you know how often he has been wormed and with which product?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is called Cardi. He's on Pero Gluten free salmon and brown rice and has about 300-330 grams across 3 meals. He also has about 2 carrots a day and an apple and a few gravy bones as treats. He's been on adult food for about a month, but He was like this on puppy food too. He's wormed month with nexguard.

Love the name Cardi! Generally I’m not that worried if a dog’s poo is normal in the morning then progressively more loose. I expect Cardi is very active? In some dogs that bounce about all day the activity makes their gut transit time a bit fast so the fluid doesn’t get absorbed before it leaves the body. If the poo is brown and Cardi is healthy this is probably likely. You can ask your vet send a poo sample to the lab to double check though.

Gluten free diets can contain a good amount of indigestible dietary fibre so can bulk out the poop more than other foods (like brown rice). Unless your dog has a gluten allergy (very rare) then it’s important to consider getting some grains in the diet. There have been some studies that link grain free to heart disease (although not proven just keep it in mind).

Other things to try would be digestive enzymes and or a diet trial on a hypoallergenic diet just in case the guts are a little inflamed. Please bear in mind lots of foods say hypoallergenic but there are a only a few prescription diets that are suitable for a medical diet trial.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Susan. The food is hypoallergenic but as you say may not be. Would it be better to switch to a Non gluten free food. I used this food with my last labrador when it was called Labrador Life.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can you suggest what grains i Can add to his diet. Thanks

Virtually all dog kibble unless advertised otherwise contains grains as it’s a cheap way to bulk out the meat to make the kibble.
Just keep the possible like to heart disease in mind when making long term feeding choices. It’s not a definite cause but enough research that I would like to make sure you are awake there is a risk.
If you’d like to change Cardi’s diet to see if it helps ask your vet which prescription hypoallergenic food they stock. Usually they come in kibble and tins. I’m order to get an answer from a diet trial you would need to feed Cardi the special food and nothing other than water for 6 weeks. No treats even carrots. After then of six weeks you can start to transition back to the diet of your choice to see what the response is.

Gravy bones contain cereals so Cardi may well get enough from those

Do you cut out the centres of the apples and remove the pips?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do cut out the apple cores as I heard they could causes stomach upsets. Thanks for all your help.

Yes they can do so I was just checking. So do you think Cardi is otherwise perfectly healthy? very active?
If so I’d be inclined not to worry too much if the poop is firm in the mornings.
If that changes, Cardi seems a little off colour then get him checked over.
Consider a diet trial. The end result might be no difference but there’s a chance it might.