Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 10year old Labrador had a sneezing bout on friday due to

Customer Question

My 10year old Labrador had a sneezing bout on friday due to sniffing in a bunch of grass , since then he hasnt wanted to go for a walk , hes eating fine drinking normally ,poohing and weeing is normal too .He hasnt been sick but i feel he might of pulled a muscle in his neck sneezing so badly as every time he reaches out or goes to bark he lets out a yelp.It doesnt last after that initial yelp .I phoned his vet they were not very helpful at all in fact quite rude to be fair , they have told me there is no payment plan he wont get treatment if i cant pay ,i told the lady on the phone im on benefit and that i am struggling financially and she said it doesnt matter id have to let my dog go in on his own then it would be up to the vet the cause of action they wished to take and if i cant pay then hed just have to come home .Im not a vet but i feel either the neck area or the head is a problem so some advice would be so gratefully received as im not sure what else i can do .Thank you for your time x
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: no but his breathing is normal his nose is wet and his ears arent hot . with him eating and drinking as normal no sickness or diarrhea im assuming all is good plus i dont have a thermometer x
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the Labrador been licking or scratching his skin?
Customer: no more congestion just that first initial sneezing fit that didnt last long no runny nose and no licking or scratching of himself x
JA: What's the Labrador's name?
Customer: Tasc he is a much loved member of my family and he was 10 on 19th of May x
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: hes walking into the garden and round it okay but then all he wants to do is get his head down x
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Tasc has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.
I'm also sorry to hear you weren't happy with your local vet.From your description, I would be suspicious he has a grass blade up his nose. If so, this needs to be removed under sedation.Other possibilities include a viral or bacterial infection, or perhaps a nasal polyp or allergic rhinitis (like hay fever).He does need to be examined in person. Due to the pandemic, many vets are not allowing owners into the consult room. They will check him over and would discuss if they need to run further tests.Cost will also be discussed. Some vets offer payment plans and credit payment options so you need to ring around.You may also consider contacting your local vets e.g. rspca, pdsa or Blue Cross who may be able to assist.
I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Take care,Linda.