Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

A few days ago, I noticed that my dog had scratched the top

Customer Question

Hello, a few days ago, I noticed that my dog had scratched the top of his head (with his back legs) , and it had started bleeding, I have washed the wound, then took him to a local pets at home for some advice, have been using leucillin on the small cut (it was bleeding, but once washed the cut was very very small) about 3 times per day and have been keeping an eye on it, have bought my dog an inflatable cone to keep him from scratching it further. I think he may be suffering from seasonal allergies, is there anything else I can do to help him, other than having to take him to the vet and spent a ridiculous amount of money? (I simply cannot afford it). I will not be able to keep a close eye on him all day long, as I have to go to work, but is there anything I could give him to soothe him or to help him stop wanting to scratch? Thank you
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the dog bleeding?
Customer: He’s not bleeding at the moment, the top of his head had bled a few days ago from constant scratching, have given him a bath and used leucillin since
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Evan, age 6, will be 7 tomorrow
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: my dog went to the vet a couple weeks ago for a health check, I informed the vet that he was shaking his ears more than normal, when they checked it, his left ear was red, they put some kind of drop in it, then told me to bring him back in a week, which I did. They then checked him again and said that the redness had spread to both ears. They applied the drops again, and told me to watch him and if in 20 days he still shakes, I will need to return him. Since the vet visit the ears are the least of my problems, he has been scratching the top of his head (and has cut himself, trying to treat the small wounds at home, but wondering if there’s anything I can do to speed it up) and his sides occasionally, I think it’s seasonal scratching as he does not do this year round. Again, I do not want to take him to the vet as I can’t afford to pay another £126 for some small treatment, which I wasn’t asked if I could afford in the first place. Please may you help us without having to spend hundreds at the vet, thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Evan has these issues.I appreciate your financial concerns however it is unlikely we will be able to effectively manage this from home. Delaying treatment could mean he is in discomfort and requires more expensive treatment down the line.Many dogs with allergies suffer with chronic skin and ear infections. Determining what they are reacting to is crucial. This can be done via an allergy blood test or a process of elimination (e.g. a hypoallergenic diet, grass avoidance, keeping a diary etc).Most require prescription anti itch medicine, antibiotics and medicated shampoo from the vet. This is especially true if his lesion is a "hot spot" (acute moist dermatitis).
You are welcome to send a photo for me to examine. We usually need to clip the lesion to keep it ventilated.I agree with the cone and cleaning. Do also ensure he is up to date with a good quality parasite prevention such as Advocate. On top of this, consider anti histamines such as Piriton.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello, thank you for your response. This has never happened to him before to this extent. He has had a scratch on his head before with a similar wound, but it had dried up and healed very quickly. He has had his up to date vaccines and medicine from the vet beginning of this month, and they’ve given me NexGard Spectra, to give one tablet monthly, which he has had this month. I will try with the Piriton as well, as have just purchased it but was not sure if dogs are allowed. Can you recommend an amount of time to pass until he must be taken to the vet? I am only able to do this next week, as I will be on annual leave. At the moment, just needed some quick advice and to see if it can be managed at home before it is absolutely crucial for him to be seen by a vet. Again, thank you, ***** ***** let appreciated. Please find a picture attached to this message of his head. Apologies for not being able to get a better picture.
I would wonder if this lesion is a hot-spot (acute moist dermatitis). These are common when the weather warms up.
I would also consider an infected insect bite or foreign body such as a grass awn.
There appears to be an infection and is suspect je needs antibiotics.
Ideally, these are started right away to prevent any infection from worsening or spreading.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Stay safe,

Linda.