Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has a huge lump on her side, It's on her left side

Customer Question

My dog has a huge lump on her side
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where on the dog's body is the lump? When did you first notice it?
Customer: It's on her left side and I noticed it a few months ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: It's millie and she is 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I took her to Armac Vets and they said it may be cancer but we're very vague and said they would only know for sure by removing the lump which was cost over £700
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and understand you must be worried.Could you send a clear photo?Typically a vet will take a fine needle aspirate or biopsy before removing a lump. This means we would have a diagnosis before surgery. If it is non cancerous and it isn't infected or bothering her, this could mean we take a 'wait and see' approach rather than doing a surgery.
Was this discussed?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The vet did this procedure however said it was inconclusive and stated the only option was surgery. She is not in any pain and its not bothering her at all but I'm conscious that is it increasing in size. I do have a photo however I'm not sure how to send it onto you.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.
It is certainly frustrating when a sample in inconclusive.
If it was a fine needle aspirate (when a needle is put in conscious and cells were removed), I would enquire about a biopsy (this is performed under deep sedation or anaesthetic and should provide an answer).If the lump is benign, this would be cost effective and we would be happy to monitor the growth.
However, this could add expense as if we need to perform surgery, this would be an added cost.You can send me a photo at***@******.***
Thank you, ***** ***** just received the photo.
What a sweet girl.This is a very large growth.If we did go ahead with a surgery, we would need to be prepared for a long recovery and the possibility of e.g. an infection or difficulty getting about for a while.A growth this large that has grown relatively quickly is more likely to be sinister.Given her age and the fact that the cost is a concern, it would also be an option to leave it as is, understanding that it may be cancerous and could spread. Even if not a cancer, it is so large that it may interfere with her moving and become infected.It is not an easy decision but ultimately depends on her general health, her quality of life, your wishes and the financial side of things.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She is an amazing dog but I don't want to put her through any pain or stress. She is coping very well and is definitely not in any pain. Her general health is very good and the lump doesn't affect her at all. I'm really struggling with making a decision. Thank you for your assistance it really is appreciated.
I understand, it is not a clearcut decision and I think there is an argument either way.At this stage, I would either go straight to surgery or make a decision to leave it as is.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.