Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Both myself and my dog noticed a fluidy swelling around the

Good morning,Both myself and my dog Walker noticed a fluidy swelling around the right elbow of my Bernese Mountain Dog puppy/adolescent.I took him to the vet a couple of days ago and she took a syringe of the fluid and felt that it wasn’t joint fluid due to its appearance and consistency on a slide. She also doesn’t feel that it’s anything to do with his actual elbow joint as he’s showing no other signs of obvious issues like elbow dysplasia, is in good spirits, isn’t lame and is energetic and curious as a puppy/adolescent of his age should be.At the moment, she says she’s not overly concerned and wonders if perhaps he’s damaged the skin in the area (perhaps undetected due to his prolific coat and something like a seroma has formed. We decided to monitor it and see if the fluid reabsorbs naturally into his system and if not, take it it from there.I then made a connection this morning and remembered that I removed three ticks from his body about 10 days ago (two on his eyebrows, one on the flank of his shoulder and although I didn’t remove it, one naturally fell off a couple of days later). Once I found the three, I gave him an extra dose of Advocate and that when I think the fourth fell off.I just googled it (not always wise, I know) and apparently swelling around a joint can be caused by Lyme disease caused by a certain kind of tick. I’m unsure whether I’m just spinning out here or wether this is an actual likelihood that this is the cause of his swelling.He’s out with his dog Walker now so I can’t inspect his leg for possible evidence and, if the tick has fallen off with the extra dose of Advocate, I’m not sure with his hair that I’d find any evidence either.It can be hard to get an appointment with my vet since COVID has resulted in a boom of puppies and kittens and they are terrible over worked. I was lucky there was a cancellation the other day so if it is unlikely that this is a cause of his swollen/fluidy elbow, I don’t want to take up their time any further and I’ll do the ‘watch and wait,’ reporting back in a. Couple of weeks if the fluid has increased or not reabsorbed at all.Many thanks,Laura
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Although it’s difficult to see, this is a still of a video I took to send to my Mum a few days ago. Freddie is on his back with legs up in the air and I’ve got my fingers around the fluidy mass.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Just for behaviour and size reference, he’s 9 months old and this was yesterday. We went to the Kent coast with my daycare group and he was active, happy and playing in the waves with the children. Although it was hot and we repaired to the shade after about half an hour, he was happy to wear his wet coat and his hydration pack. He does appear to have been running hotter than my Mum’s older Bernese in the same climate, with a drier nose but that’s very subjective.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The children in this photograph are either 3 or 4 years and at 53.5 kilos, he’s already a good size.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? Has he been vaccinated for Lyme disease ?
Where are you located at?
I have spent most of my career in Minnesota and we see a lot of Lyme disease up here. Generally with a tick borne disease there will be fever, joint pain and tenderness. However not more of this fluid filled under the akin on the side of the joint. Also Lyme often takes weeks of months to show signs too. Ticks also need to be adhered generally 24 hours before they will be able to transmit the Lyme also. If you have not vaccinated for Lyme the consideration for a Lyme vaccine may be given as the vaccine is highly effective too. Often soft fluid areas can start to occur on the sides of the elbows, more often on larger dogs. As there is a lot of weight and friction on this area they can be more prone to forming like hygromas that may come and go.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello Dr Mike, thanks for your response.Fred’s eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally. No underlying health conditions that we know of.We’re located in London, UK, specifically South East London, near Greenwich.He’s had all the usual puppy vaccinations, but I’m not sure if that includes Lyme Disease.Hygromas were the first think that cropped up on google before I took him to see the Vet on Tuesday and although that wasn’t something that was raised in the consultation, it does seem to fit the Bill.As long as I’m not dealing with something Time sensitive, then that’s reassuring. I was wondering if perhaps buying some elbow pads for him to wear in the house, on hard surfaces may help as he isn’t graceful about sitting down, plonking himself down with a large thud.
Those may help some to protect the elbows. The elbows also may start to get more bare skin and may also be more prone to some sores as getting older just from friction even as gets up and down. I will next provide some information that may be most beneficial to address if and when some skin changes may occur there.
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and climbazole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and climbazole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Duoxo spray is an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the climbazole will also will address yeast. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo shampoo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
Do you have any other questions I can assist you with today?
We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one today. I wish for a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Dr Mike, this has set my mind at rest and prevented me from taking up my Vet’s time erroneously.
I’m quite used to dealing with skin issues with our previous Bernese as they’ve been quite prone to moist dermatitis in the hotter weather.Thanks for your advice and I’ll take this to my vet to take from there.

Happy to hear you are much more calm about all Laura.  Enjoy the day.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You too, thank you : )