Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog was knocked over in Feb. She broke her front left leg

My dog was knocked over in Feb. She broke her front left leg but not the main bone. The little bone. No cast was put on. No pins inserted. . I’d like to ask an opinion of the latest X-rays. How much would that cost.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Feb 18th was the accident. Since then she’s had 2 offlead walks and hardly any on lead walks (because she pulls) but on one of the off lead walks she started limping
JA: Is she taking any medications?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: blue
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: shes 10. I have photos of X-rays in Feb, April and June

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question

Sorry to hear of this with Blue. I would happily give you an opinion if you can upload the pictures of the xrays. How is she doing now regarding use of the leg?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Well she pulls Backhouse’s on the lead so we have barely walked her as thought it would put too much pressure on it. But then after almost 3 months we thought she’d be fixed. Took her for 2 walks 2 days in a row. Second day she started limping a bit and was walking slowly (she’s usually v adventurous). I took her back for more X-rays but I think it looks worse. Vet says it’s fixing but not in the normal way.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (SZ2ZQ1G)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (33Z7374)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have marked the months taken on there but I have more if needed.

Thanks for the pictures, very interesting! It seems that your dog has had a fracture of the distal ulna. Conservative management was possibly the right call initially given the limited displacement of the fracture but unfortunately the fracture has not healed and has gone on to form a 'non union'. This is likely due to excess movement at the fracture site evidenced by the excessive callus formation.

Options that I can see going forward

1.) Try and immobilise the limb to a greater degree (a splint or split cast for example) to allow more stability to allow healing (although these options are probe to complications). Also the amount of time post fracture means that even if we can immobilise the area it still may not heal.

2.) Attempt surgical fixation of the fracture by debriding the bone ends and stabilising with a plate and screws.

I would certainly discuss these options with your vet and consider asking for referral to an orthopedic surgeon if possible for their opinion too.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much. That all sounds about right. Thanks.

Your welcome. Best wishes

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don’t know where “Backhouse’s” came from. I meant badly.

No problem, I got what you meant :)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks again

No problem.