Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Within the past 2 weeks my dogs glands have seemed a little

Hello, within the past 2 weeks my dogs glands have seemed a little swollen. Yesterday I noticed that one side feels larger
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna Claire. She is a 4 year old Beagle.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She does have bad teeth. Is there anyway that can be the cause?

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

While there are a few potential causes for this, the most likely cause is impacted anal glands, which may or may not be infected.

A vet needs to assess them and they may need to be expressed.

If there is an infection, she will be started on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

No, I cannot think of a scenario where her dental disease would be linked to this.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve made an appointment with her vet, but the earliest appointment is in 5 days. She has been eating bo
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The glands are in neck. She has been eating normally. She’s playful, and wants to go for her walks. If it wasn’t for me always petting her, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Lymph node perhaps.

Oh, I'm very sorry!

I misread and thought you were saying she had a swelling around her anus.

Absolutely, submandibular lymph glands can swell due to dental disease.

We can also see swelling here due to salivary glands which have become enlarged, but this is rarely symmetrical.

If there is an oral infection, this would probably be the culprit.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I unfortunate started researching and it says the number one reason is cancer. So I’ve been beside myself. My vet will see me on Tuesday, and because she isn’t exhibiting any other symptoms, they said it wasn’t an emergency.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Her left side seems to be a little smaller than a golf ball. The other side seems swollen too, but not as large.

Cancer would be uncommon at this age and, as we know she has dental disease, this would be much more likely to be the cause.

Those with cancer tend to have other signs such as weight loss, a reduced appetite and nausea.

I agree it is not an emergency. However, if you are concerned and want her seen sooner, it would be worth calling another local vet who may be able to fit you in more promptly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She has had bad teeth since she was a puppy. One of her bottom canines never came in, and as lovely as she is, her breath is terrible.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As I mentioned, she is her same playful self. Her neck glands just seem swollen. She doesn’t mind when i touch it.

It may well be that there is an abscess, which could certainly cause swollen lymph nodes as the white blood cells arrive at the site of the infection in an attempt to fight it off.

While I cannot make a diagnosis without examining her, I would not be overly concerned at this point.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I am writing from the States. You have definitely alleviated some of the anxiety. When all these websites say CANCER, it definitely increased my initial cancer.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would there be any signs of a dental infection that I should look out for? Or can her teeth have an infection that does not seem noticeable.Last ?…can an infection in her teeth cause both glands to be swollen?

I totally understand and I think a lot of people do the same!

Dental disease can cause bad breath, red gums, brown build up on the surface of the teeth, oral swelling, a preference for wet over dry food, drooling etc.

One or both glands can be swollen, depending on where the infection is and how severe it is.

This window will remain open so you are very welcome to keep me posted and to ask any further questions you may have.

Sending her best wishes from London!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much!!!!

Not at all and take care :)