Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My 10 week old puppy had blood in her stool. The stool was

Customer Question

My 10 week old puppy had blood in her stool. The stool was watery and filled with mucus. Is this dangerous?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the puppy's stool? Does she seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: Around 45 minutes ago. She seems her complete normal self full of energy and no loss of appetite
JA: Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Nothing at all just her normal food and a small piece of cooked ham
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Juno
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Juno?
Customer: No this is the only thing that’s happened that’s made me worry all of her stools previous have been solid
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (52V127M)
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 14 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? Is she current on vaccinations and dewormer?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yeah so she is completely up to date with her vaccinations and de wormer. There have been no changes in her diet she had a little piece of cooked ham but other than that just her puppy food. She still seems herself full of energy and still has an appetite
My apologies the slight delay in response. My last case took longer than anticipated.
The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.Psyllium husk, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. This can be mixed into the food or even liquids that you are providing for ease of administration. Psyllium husk can be found over the counter at the pharmacy. Metamucil is one brand name, there may be many generic powder forms also to look for.Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also:https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2Rest the GI tract and offer softer and more easily digestible food like hamburger or chicken with rice. This will be softer on the lining of the GI tract and is very appetizing to help maintain appetite. Pedialyte also can be soothing to the GI tract also and can help to keep the hydration status maintained along with energy and electrolyte supplementation.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
very helpful information thank you so much. So do you think this is something that I need to seriously worry about or just irritation of her GI tract?
We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this.
As totally seems happy and healthy and stable overall. These are very good signs of overall health. Do you have any other questions at the moment?
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Juno today. I wish Juno a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.