Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I really need some support but I'm struggling to find a vet

Customer Question

I really need some support but I'm struggling to find a vet that will give me free advice. I'm really struggling with money but can't see him in pain
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. Where does the dog seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: Since yesterday and on his hind leg
JA: Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear and 7 He is an imperial shihtzu
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No I just can't deal with him if he is in pain and I can't get any helpCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 21 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Bear. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or paracetamol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and paracetamol concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I dont know weather its dislocates

I don't know either. This isn't something an on-line vet can determine. Unless those analgesics normalize Bear, an attending vet is needed to palpate (feel) the leg and his spine and perhaps X-ray those areas.

I regret that my veterinary board of examiners doesn't allow me to use the phone in this venue. Please post "yes" or "no" to let me know if you would like me to opt-out of this conversation for another expert who can phone you. I won't be able to return here nor respond to you.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What medication can I give him he is 6kg

Please see my initial post to you above. If you can't see it, let me know and I'll repost it for you.