Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

L simmon

hi dr L simmon

Hi there, how can I help?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
hi it’s about my jug again he is still itching and stuff thinking his good is a raw food diet for him?

Diet wise, when it comes to allergies, I will always recommend a hydrolysed diet. This is a diet whereby all of the proteins have been broken down so, whatever the dog is allergic to, they won't react. The most common food allergies are dairy, egg, chicken, beef, peas and grains.

There are 3 main hydrolysed diets in the UK: Royal Canin Anallergenic, Hills z/d or Purina HA.

You feed one of these for 8 weeks and be sure to not give any other foods, treats or chews.

The hope is that by the time the 8 weeks is up, the signs have much reduced or even gone.

Raw diets... I'm not a big fan.

Firstly, if he has an allergy to e.g. chicken or beef, feeding a raw diet with one of these ingredients won't help.

Also, raw food poses a health hazard to dogs and humans alike. Children, the elderly and those who are immune-suppressed are most at risk. If your dog eats his meal and then e.g. licks your face, there is a real risk of food poisoning.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
hello thanks for your reply it does help it’s hard because we use treats like chicken for his reward and stuff could it be because he gets groom and a cut that when his hair grows back it gets itchy because his fluffy

No, normal fur regrowth would not cause the signs he has.

I understand; a hypoallergenic diet is not for everyone.

However, if it works, it really is worth it!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
oh i was thinking we have artificial grass wondering could that make his paws itch because he goes wee and stool on it and tries to scratch it i wonder

Unfortunately, it really can be anything.

That is the frustrating thing about skin disease and allergies.

However, artificial grass would not be a common cause.

It is more likely something naturally in the environment (such as house dust mites, pollen or real grass) and/or a food. Dogs often react to more than one thing.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ahhh okay just so confusing feel bad for him the kitchen he sleeps in at night is clean don’t think it’s mites there we wash his bed once every 3 months his always gone to the woods for a walk and his always been eating chicken and other meats
Unfortunately house dust mites are in all houses and it isn't really a matter of hygiene.While he had always eaten chicken, allergies can present between the age of 1 and 5 so this doesn't rule out a chicken allergy.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
he had his vaccine like a year and a half ago when we first got him and the vets said they can’t give him a booster because it’s been to long so they want to start it from the beginning again is that true ?
For any unreliable questions, please do open a new window. Thank you!