Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My puppy has got a swollen eyechecked online and it says she

Customer Question

Hi my puppy has got a swollen eyechecked online and it says she as cherry eye
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the puppy lick the skin as well?
Customer: This morning and yes
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Belle
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Belle?
Customer: She only 14 weeks old and was the smallest f the litter so last time was weighted she was 2.5kg
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She doesn't lick her son she trys to scratch her face
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She don't lick herself I ment
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this with Belle, would you be able to send me a photo of the affected eye?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (154TT56)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Did you ge the picture
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for the photo. Indeed this is cherry Eye - a prolapse of the gland of the 3rd eyelid. It is fairly common in the bulldog type breeds.

You can attempt to gently massage the gland back into position by lifting the lower eyelid over the prolapsed gland and massaging gently, it may however not go back in and even if it does, will likely reoccur.

Surgical replacement of the prolapsed gland is the treatment of choice for this condition. Pending this, protection of the prolapsed gland with a bland opthamlic lubricant 3-4 times daily (Hyabak, viscotears etc) can be helpful.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.