Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog jumped off bed on Friday and hurt her leg can walk on

Customer Question

My dog jumped off bed on Friday and hurt her leg can walk on it but if laid to long yelps when gets up need some advice
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the dog's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: appetite was poor 2 days but ate normal yesterday is there any meds I can give her for pain I been making her scrambled egg and chicken with her dry food
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no not as far as I’m aware it’s her leg that hurts but she can walk on it can’t get on settee like she used to
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: her names Bella and she’s 2yrs 9mths
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: noCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda

What breed is Bella?

Is it her front or back leg that is injured?

Has it gotten better or worse since Friday?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It hasent got worse she’s a french bull dog was of her food couple days ate yesterday she’s just ate scrambled egg and will get chicken with her dry food at tea time eating better then she was
Oh, thank you for your reply, I have just seen this now.As she isn't herself, it is fine to offer tempting food.I wouldn't advise giving pain relief without prescription, though I understand the temptation. The safest medicine is prescribed by a vet and made specially for dogs.The main thing is to strictly rest her; short lead walks to toilet only and no jumping on or off furniture.She should improve daily and most soft tissue injuries or muscle strains improve in 4 or 5 days.
However, if Bella is not improving as expected or seems in discomfort, a vet visit is best.If your regular clinic isn't open, it is important she is seen by another vet. They will examine her to ensure there isn't anything more serious going on and may prescribe anti inflammatories and pain relief.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If she lyes to long she yelps when she starts walking she yelps but was n the back yard quite a bit yesterday is there anything I can give her for pain
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Someone said paracetamol but don’t want to till talk to you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It’s her back left leg xxxx
Oh bless her.I am just typing my full reply.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is there anything I can give her for now till get an appointment
As it is her back leg, we would worry about e.g. a dislocated knee cap, ruptured knee ligament or hip injury.Given how she is acting, there may well be more than just a strained muscle going on, so I would advise she sees a vet as soon as possible.I completely understand your desire to give medicine at home to help her, but this is risky. It is far safer to have the vet prescribe the medicine.Paracetamol is sometimes used but isn't safe if the dog is dehydrated, not eating well or has underlying liver or kidney disease.We have to be extremely careful with dosing, especially in small dogs as we can cause toxicity easily. The dose is only 10mg/kg. So, for example, a 5kg dog only needs 50mg. This can be given 2 to 3 times a day as long as there are no side effects.It is very important you tell the vet if you have given any so they provide medicine that is safe to give alongside paracetamol.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.