Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog was had really bad diarrhea on saturday and i have

Customer Question

my dog was had really bad diarrhea on saturday and i have paid the emergency vet fee for them to see him and prescription fees which is fine and have called today to ask if he should have been for a poo yet or if it back them up like immodium does with humans and they wont answer the question they want another consultation
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: reggie
JA: How old is Reggie?
Customer: 5 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he alos had an anti sickness injection on saturday evening he was seen around 8.45 pm
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry Reggie is unwell.Which medicine was he given?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the medicine
Thank you.Constipation isn't an expected side effect of this medicine.However, if your dog had a lot of diarrhoea and want eating as much as normal, it wouldn't be unexpected that he would then not pass a lot off poo once improved.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
do I need to take him to the vets
If your vet recommends a re check then this is, of course, best.However, if he is acting normal, it isn't unexpected that he won't have had a poo yet and this wouldn't overly concern me.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is his normal self but they wouldn’t even discuss it with me they just want to see him and it’s always cost
Ok, sure.You've asked if constipation is an expected side effect or that medicine and it is not.I've also reassured you that it is relatively normal for dogs to go a few days without pooing after a bad episode of diarrhoea.However, if your vet has advised a re check, there will be a reason for this and so it is recommended.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why wife has just spoken to them and they have told her different to myself
What have they told her?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it is more on the same as what you have said but maybe a little oily fish to help
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They are not concerned until tomorrow with him not going and maybe a little oily fish will help movement as he is eating chicken and rice at their recommendation
Ok perfect.
This does sound sensible to me.We typically only worry about not passing a poo if it has been more than 3 days or the dog seems uncomfortable / is straining/ is bloated.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah he’s nothing like that he is very much him self other than not going for a number 2 eating drinking wanting things he shouldn’t have typical behaviour of him and most puppies/ dogs
Ok excellent!This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi we still haven’t had any movement with Reggie is there anything we can give him apart from the oily fish
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
you can give a laxative such as Lactulose.Small dogs gets 5mls as needed (sometimes just a single dose is required, some dogs need a few doses spread 8 hours apart).
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is a beagle am at 5 months old would I use 5 mls
this would be a safe dose.
Effects can be quick so it can be best to give it when outside.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no problem do you know where I can get it from?
Any chemist should sell it and it is non prescription
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok cool so just a human brand doesn’t have to be from pet shop cool thank you I will pop and get some this evening
exactly.
There are no dog specific laxatives on the market.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Cool thank you will try him with that if he doesn’t pass anything this afternoon as presuming the oily fish will still be digesting
Sure, fingers crossed!
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If that doesn’t work then I presume there is something wrong internally and will be back to the vets
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help the last couple of days Reggie has finally passed solid hopefully we are on the amend
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Ah good stuff, thank you for keeping me in the loop.