Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog constantly scrathes and bites He has red hair,

Customer Question

My dog constantly scrathes and bites He has red hair
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Archie
JA: How old is Archie?
Customer: 3 years and4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.What breed is he?When was he last treated for parasites and which product was used?Has Archie ever been itchy before?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Archie is Cavalier King Charles, I had stopped his parasities treatment for a while bc he was on steroid injectoin 3 months ago. I used to use advocat, now I decided to try FRONTLINE Plus Spot-On Flea and Tick with Drontal Worming Treatment for Dogs 2 - 10kg.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Archie is Cavalier King Charles, I had stopped his parasities treatment for a while bc he was on steroid injectoin 3 months ago due to skin alergy. I used to use advocat, now I decided to try FRONTLINE Plus Spot-On Flea and Tick with Drontal Worming Treatment for Dogs 2 - 10kg.
I do apologise for the delayed response, the website was down and had only just come back live for me.Why was he given steroids?When did his skin issue start?Has he had any tests such as a skin scrape or swab?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He has benn treeated with steroids bc of the ear infection and skin allergy/ they supposed its a skin alergy/. I've veen told that I can't afford the alergy test, that's why I don't inow for sure what the problem is. I just can't leave him struggling especially night time. I don't know is it alregy, is it hormonal, Itchy and Losing Hair and red inflametion is horrible
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for this additional information.Skin allergies are incredibly frustrating and signs will wax and wane. We cannot cure allergies but aim to control symptoms as best we can.If allergy testing isn't affordable right now, we should try eliminating certain things to see if there's a difference.I would suggest a hydrolyzed diet trial (e.g. Royal Canin Anallergenic), grass and pollen avoidance (walking on pavement and wet wiping belly and paws once you get home), a hypoallergenic bed, religious parasite care etc.It is also essential we use medicine to control signs and prevent things from worsening and infections from establishing.Archie will need a vet visit to get a prescription of anti itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle and allow the skin to settle. I appreciate he has had this before but it isn't a permanent fix, it is a tool we use from time to time when needed.
I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.