Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My frenchie has a red face hes been scratching he not got

Customer Question

Hi my frenchie has a red face hes been scratching he not got fleas as been done
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: French bulldog
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the French Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Roni and hes 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have his sister and she not quite as bad as him
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Roni has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.When was he treated for parasites and which product was used?Has he ever been itchy before e.g. last year?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't know unfortunately I only had him yesterday
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have his sister caswell but she not as bad
Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

I do apologise, I believe the website crashed today and it has only come back online for me now.

If unsure about parasite prevention, this is the first step. Use a broad spectrum, effective product such as Advocate on both dogs and ensure the environment is deep cleaned.

Unfortunately, Frenchies are very prone to skin allergies so this needs to be considered. They can react to anything e.g. food, pollen, dust mites, grass etc. If very itchy, an anti itch medicine from the vet is likely a sensible idea. If the skin is broken, many also require antibiotics and a medicated wash.

If never done, the vet may consider some basic tests such as a skin swab and scrape.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.