Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog has suddenly got an open wound on her back thigh. It

Customer Question

My dog has suddenly got an open wound on her back thigh. It looks like she has licked the top layer of skin away leaving an open circular wound the size of a 5p. It is not red or angry at all and she is not a dog who has ever licked herself to cause this sort of thing in the past.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is an 8 year old ***** *****
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No she has always been really healthy with no issues.
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is fine
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Mike. I will be happy to assist you today. Will it be possible to send some images to review?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here is a photo of the wound
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did not notice any lump nor did she appear to show any discomfort prior to me seeing the open wound

My apologies for any delay. There had been a system issue that is resolved now. Once again, my apologies for any delay.

Is there any smell to the area, any tenderness, how many days ago did it first show up?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No smell or tenderness she came in from another room last night with it. She usually sleeps under a blanket
Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Micochlor spray is my an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied. This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon . It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Micochlor Plus Shampoo which has chlorhexidine and miconozole in it to assist with yeast and bacteria.
2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
3. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.The shampoo may not be needed to cover the whole body however focussing on the affected areas. Synergy is most important in the above discussion. The one spray with chlorhexidine can address potential bacteria and yeast and the other spray with the hydrocortisone can address the inflammation and itch. Together the two items work very well together.These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.Until able to acquire the above items the following is a starting point. The area can be cleaned with Chlorhexidine. It can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens clens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.If able to trim the hair back some from the edges it may also allow for more airflow and drying of the area and slow the spread of these issues. As the hair holds in moisture and this can lead to more bacteria and yeast to start growing. They may not like the area cleaned however it can be most helpful.
If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.
The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.1. Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)
2. Duoxo pyo spray
3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf
Do you have any other questions at the moment?
We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Cagney today. I wish Cagney a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.