Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is having difficulty walking and getting up, There is

Customer Question

My dog is having difficulty walking and getting up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: There is nothing different and she is haply for us to touch her legs body without any signs shes in pain This started yesterday evening and seems to have gotten worse today Her appetite and shes fine in herself shes just having trouble moving about
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Puggles and she's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Puggles?
Customer: No shes never had any problems before
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.What breed is she?Is it her back legs that are affected? Is she dragging them?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

From your dog's name, I suspect you may have a Pug? These dogs are very prone to Intervertebral Disc Disease which can present as a sudden lameness, weakness, lack of sensation to the paws or even paralysis.

If your dog has become suddenly affected (rather than getting slow and stiff over time), an urgent vet appointment is advised.

They will examine Puggles and may run some tests such as a neurological assessment, orthopaedic exam and some imaging.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g anti inflammatories and pain relief.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.