Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My german shepard in Turkey is 13, badly arthritic, and in

Customer Question

my german shepard in Turkey is 13, badly arthritic, and in pain, she needs Metacam, or if impossible an alternative
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where does the Shepherd seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: she has been in trouble all summer, her hind leg mussels have fallen away, and when our last rescue dog was failing my local vet prescribed Metacam which was very effective
JA: And what's the Shepherd's name and age?
Customer: WISE, she is 13and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about WISE?
Customer: until now she has been very healthy, no other problems, eating Quite well, it has been wickedly hot...Customer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
basically i need a prescription for Metacam, or an alternative....would medicinal cannibis work ???
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to Wise has these issues.Firstly, no online vet can legally issue a prescription medicine or prescription.Regardless, this wouldn't be appropriate in her case. It is vital she sees a vet. While Metacam may have been the right medicine for your other dog, that doesn't mean it is the best thing for Wise.As she is a German Shepherd we need to check for conditions such as Degenerative Myelopathy, hip dysplasia, spondylosis, disc disease etc.We cannot know what treatment will be best best she has a diagnosis.It so likely Metacam will form part of the treatment treatment plan. She may also require e.g. Tramadol, Gabapentin, cartrophen injections etc.Given her age, it is important she has a blood test before starting any medicine to check her liver and kidney function.CBD (medical marijuana) is not licensed for our pets and no studies have been done and its safety or efficacy so is not something I would recommend.The only at home medicine we might consider would be Paracetamol. However, this isn't appropriately for those with certain underlying medical issues and only offers mild to moderate pain relief. It usually works best when given in prescription with other medicines.As well as getting medicine from her local vet, it may help to : Start a joint supplement such as Yumove, keep a consistent exercise routine, feed a joint supportive diet, start hydrotherapy, get acupuncture etc.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions .

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.