Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My French bulldog is having a problem with her back end,

Hi.my French bulldog is having a problem with her back end
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the French Bulldog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Maybe two weeks it is making her itch but obviously she can't reach
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the itchiness. When did the French Bulldog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She had all her jabs about 3 months ago could it be anal glands
JA: What's the French Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Belle.9 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She has trouble sleeping because it's itching all the time
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
In regards ***** ***** rectal region. Is there more licking at the rectum ? Dragging the rectum ? Keeping the tail down? Is the area more swollen or red also?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is 9 months old and in good health. apart from her rectum.she is trying to lock it mostly but can't relax
Is there any redness ?
I will be able to call in approximately 5-10 minutes.

Many times when the anal glands start to become painful or sore.  Then signs on the back end can be seen, such as harder time to defecate, painful on the rear end, licking or scooting the rectum on the ground or even not wanting to jump as much or keeping the tail down more.  The anal glands are located at the 4 and 8 o’clock position on the rectum. They serve for   dogs and cats as scent glands.  However, when they fill up they can become painful and even infected. When this happens it can cause pain on the rectal region. Some dogs and cats  may not jump up on things as well, some may keep their tail down as it is painful to raise the tail more.  Others may  drag the rectum. Some may even nave some fecal leakage occurring as a result of this. They are desiring to relieve this pressure that the enlarged glands feel. As a veterinarian, we can reach in internally into the rectum and squeeze these glands to remove the fluid.  If the glands are full of infected material, then that may be addressed accordingly with appropriate antibiotics and possibly pain relief.  Some groomers also can assist with expression too if It is not possible to have them expressed at the clinic too.

Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours.  This may help some itch and inflammation.

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Micochlor spray is my an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied.  This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it.  This  can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon . It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1. Micochlor Plus Shampoo which has chlorhexidine and miconozole in it to assist with yeast and bacteria.

2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

3. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

The shampoo may not be needed to cover the whole body however focussing on the affected areas.  Synergy is most important in the above discussion. The one spray with chlorhexidine can address potential bacteria and yeast and the other spray with the hydrocortisone can address the inflammation and itch. Together the two items work very well together.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores,  the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)

Duoxo pyo spray

3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

External anal gland expression.

It was a pleasure talking with you today.  We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Belle today. I wish for a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.