Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She is being sick, 1 day, no medication not sure on the vet

Customer Question

She is being sick
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 1 day
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: no medication not sure on the vet as I am looking after her fir a friend
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: gaya age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is of a nervous nature and on a raw meat diet. She has been sick 4 times today. We have not fed her for 8 hours since last time but she has just been sick again. It almost looks like she is forcing herself to be sick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.That is quite a lot of vomiting.Is she alert, sociable and drinking?
Are her gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is drinking but not a lot. She seems ok herself although we are looking after her for a friend and don’t know her well. Her gums are pink and wet
Thank you.Any change in diet?Or has she perhaps eaten something she shouldn't have such as a bone, sock, house plant, grapes or chocolate?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is on a raw meat diet with duck feet for treats. She did get fed some cooked chicken nuggets last night.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When she is sick it looks as though she is making herself sick.
Thank you for this additional information.Raw meat diets can potentially cause food poisoning, but this is uncommon when it is a prepared diet.Vomiting can have many causes and the main thing is that she is well hydrated (wet gums) and settled.I would consider starving her for 12 hours and trialling a bland diet of cooked chicken and rice (a half portion). Ensure she has access to water. Double check she hasn't gotten to anything such as the bin or cleaning products.When a dog vomits, it can look quite "dramatic" and there is often a lot of hacking and movement.If vomiting persists, a vet visit is best as she may require e.g. an anti nausea injection and ant acids.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.