Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

What is the cause of blood in a dogs stools. The dog has

Customer Question

What is the cause of blood in a dogs stools. The dog has been diagnosed with Kidney disease?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice this blood? Does the dog seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: I noticed the blood in the stools this morning. He is always drinking water
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: No, he only had is meat and biscuits last night. He has had nothing else.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: The dog is called Buster and he will be 14 in early November.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Buster?
Customer: Not really, he had his annual booster at the vets last Friday. He has last about 6kg since his check up last year.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.There are many possibilities including an infection, parasites, a tumour, a clotting disorder etc.However, as Buster has kidney disease, we would be suspicious that the toxin build up has led to inflamed and ulcerated stomach and intestine walls which are bleeding.He would likely benefit from some ant acids and antibiotics.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Many thanks for your reply, what should I feed Buster on?
Renal food is best as it contains small amounts of highly digestible protein and not too much Phosphorous.
I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.