Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

Bad sickness and diarrhea. Blood in stools, Australian

Customer Question

Bad sickness and diarrhea. Blood in stools
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Australian kelpie cross Jack russell
JA: What is the kelpie's name and age?
Customer: Chaos. 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Is Chaos up to date with vaccines, flea and wormers?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I visited a local vet yesterday who put him on Royal canin food, and panacur and something to help solidify his stools. But today he has blood in his stools and not eating the food. He isn't up to date with vaccinations
Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

I see, thank you. The protocol your vet gave (bland diet, wormer and probiotic) is the standard one. Unfortunately, due to blood appearing, I'd suggest to give them a call to see if they don't want to re-examine him or add anything else? (antibiotic)

Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Blood in stools is not uncommon, but it's always a concern due to the ability of gut bacteria to travel upstream and give septicemia.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (SS7SPV1)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is a small amount of what is happening. He also won't eat
Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I would recommend to contact your local vet to re-evaluate and possible do further  faecal tests.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My mother is concerned it could be parvo. But he still wants to play etc. Just not eating, and blood in his stools. Would you say this is an option or not?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I strongly feel this is an option.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

Even if Chaos is vaccinated, any puppy with bloody faeces should be Parvo tested.