Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I have a 5 months old puppy, and I don't know what's

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have a 5 months old puppy, and I don't know what's happened but I think he have allergy for something. His all body is with small spots and he all the time scratching his body.
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. The Expert will know how to help with the scratching. When did the puppy last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Puppy was to vet doctor 2 months ago before travel to UK. No, he not taking any medications. I tried to register us to vet, but we have appointment just after 3 weeks
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Hugo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hugo?
Customer: I don't know. He is American staffordshire terrier. Maybe this will help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 16 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No is not any changes of his food, drinks. Maybe he start to urinate more. Before dont have any medical issues. Not taking any medicine, just using advocate for protection outside
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (562Q5Z7)

It seems that more of these issues are occurring on the lower body and under the leg/armpits ? Any smell to the areas like yeasty or musty?

Has he been playing outdoors more now too?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
but I seen that that spots start to going on his breast and legs. It's smells yeasty. We playing outdoors every day about 2 hours, because he have louds of energy

I have spent most of my career in Minnesota. We see this a lot up here. The bottom side is less haired and has more contact with the ground. This can lead to more irritation of the skin and potential infection. Will discuss this next.

Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours.  This may help some itch and inflammation.

The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical shampoos with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. When shampooing it is best to allow for a minimum of 10 minutes of contact time with the skin before rinsing it off. This contact time is critical to provide good kill down and penetration to the area for potential organisms. These topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can also be sprayed on the skin. (Micochlor spray is my an example ). This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applied.  This can be done in conjunction and between the shampooing. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it.  This  can be sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon . It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.

1. Micochlor Plus Shampoo which has chlorhexidine and miconozole in it to assist with yeast and bacteria.

2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.

3. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.

The shampoo may not be needed to cover the whole body however focussing on the affected areas.  Synergy is most important in the above discussion. The one spray with chlorhexidine can address potential bacteria and yeast and the other spray with the hydrocortisone can address the inflammation and itch. Together the two items work very well together.

These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores,  the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.

If you are outside of the USA here are some other products that may be more readily available in your country.

The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon.

Duoxo pyo (these items all have Chlorhexidine and Climbazole in them)

Duoxo pyo spray

3. The Triz Chlor line also has these Ingredients also. Here is a link to review.

https://www.dechra-us.com/Files/Files/SupportMaterialDownloads/us/US-025-DET.pdf

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you so much. I will buy everything and I hope it will help
Then once the area is better can bathe the area like once every 2 weeks to keep cleaner, then use the sprays as needed when issues arise. Often being able to address as soon as signs appear can prevent issues from progressing.
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Hugo today. I wish Hugo a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.