Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Small dog has a sticky eye bathing eye for a week now,

Customer Question

small dog has a sticky eye bathing eye for a week now
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: sticky eye have been bathing for a week salt water
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: dog has a sticky eye been bathing with salt water for a week now
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: penny ten years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: sticky eye
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Penny has this issue.What breed is she? Has she had this issue before?Could you please send a clear photo of the affected eye?
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
how much longer
Hopefully you saw my message?I cannot make calls but can talk via typing and you are welcome to email me a photo or send on within this chat.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is not working for me i am too old for this
Im sorry to hear you are having trouble.
Hopefully you can see my written messages?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i canot cope with this
Please speak to customer services if you are having difficulty seeing my messages.
They should be in your email inbox and within this window.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
how much do i oue yo
As the vet, my role is to provide medical advice. I'm not associated with the payments. Please speak to customer services herehttps://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-usOr phone them on 0***-***-****

I understand you have been having some trouble seeing my messages.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Penny's signs could have several causes including a bacterial infection, corneal ulcer, Dry Eye, foreign body within the eye etc.

A vet visit is best so she can be examined. The eye should be stained for any ulcers, her tear production should be measured to ensure it is adequate and her eye should be thoroughly flushed in case of a foreign body.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.

At home, protect the eye with a buster collar and continue to bathe it. If her fur is long, trim it right back to help ventilation.