Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My puppy is 15 weeks old and she keeps attacking us and

Customer Question

My puppy is 15 weeks old and she keeps attacking us and biting.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the puppy was acting this way? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: Only sometimes
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the puppy with this behavior?
Customer: I have taken a paper across her nose and also at times held her mouth and she doesn't like that
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Heidi
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Heidi?
Customer: No otherwise she is perfect.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I am just typing my reply.

At 15 weeks, this is exceptionally normal behaviour.

Pups are playful and energetic and explore their world with their nose and mouths.

While the attacks may seem aggressive and the biting may hurt, it really is just play.

There are several things that will help

1) Keeping Heidi occupied with lots of mental and physical distractions. This means exercise, training, puppy safe chews, scenting games etc. The busier she is, the less energy she will have for 'annoying' puppy behaviour.

2) Positive reward based training. Work on a 'settle' command. When she lays on her mat and is still she gets praise and treats. Boisterous behaviour gets no reward.

3) Avoid any sort of punishment or shouting which will add to anxiety and can make the behaviour worse. Rather, ignore her sternly. This means you stand up, turn away and cross arms. It helps to wear long trousers and sleeves. Try not to make eye contact or to talk to her. Once she settles, she gets that attention she is craving

4) Time! She is at the most difficult and attention seeking age. Things will get better as she matures

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your reply will certainly try that.

No worries at all and please feel free to keep me updated.