Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog recently had house training nailed - but over the

My dog recently had house training nailed - but over the last couple of days, he's had a couple of accidents indoors. Today it was only 10 minutes after we went for a walk! Why's this happening?

Hello this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Keith has this issue.

To confirm, is it pee or poo?

How long has it been since he had an accident indoors?

Any other signs such as wobbly walking, strong smelling urine or diarrhoea?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
PooWeeksNo
Thank you for this additional information.Is he aware he is doing the poo and is it solid and free of any mucus or blood?Do you bring him somewhere appropriate to poo such as grass or a leafy area rather than pavement?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I didn't actually see him do it - but when he did his regular poo this morning on his walk he knew what he was doing.Yes, I always walk him on the grass and take him into the garden at regular intervalsNo mucus or blood
Thank you.As he is young and the stool is normal, it is most likely that he has taken a step back in his toilet training.This is actually extremely common.It can occur due to an incident (perhaps the last time he passed poo outside a car passed and scared him) or a lack of understanding that poo must always be done outside.Take a step back and re start toilet training.This means lots of opportunities to poo outside, long walks so he has the chance and heavily rewarding him when he does go outside. This should be verbal praise and a high value treat e.g. chicken.Watch closely for signs he is going to poo inside (e.g. circling or sniffing) and bring him out immediately.Clean away the smell of the previous poo with an Enzymatic cleaner.Ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur and consider some probiotics which can help settle a gut that is slightly inflamed.Finally, ensure he isn't being left at home for too long.

I hope this has been helpful

Wishing Keith all the very best.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks so much, that's been super helpful