Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog became very lethargic last night, ears down and

Customer Question

My dog became very lethargic last night, ears down and looking sad, didn't move all night, although is usually up and about several times every other night.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the dog's appetite been? Any changes in stool?
Customer: She doesn't eat until night time and ate nothing at all last night, not even drinking. Not sure about toilet as she always goes in our garden.
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: I thought she may have eaten a wasp yesterday, but am not sure as I didn't see it properly, but that was around 5pm and it wasn't until around 9pm she started to act strangly
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dee-Dee and she will be 4 next month
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dee-Dee?
Customer: No she is healthy, her vaccinations are all up to date, she is a collie so really active
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Dee Dee is not herself.Any other symptoms such as pale or dry gums, fast breathing, a bloated abdomen or facial swelling?If a bee is swallowed, it isn't usually a concern. However, a sting in the mouth can be uncomfortable and cause localised swelling and pain.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No sign of swelling and breathing seems ok.
That's good.And is Dee Dee still lethargic?
Are there any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She is just lying down and hesitant to move at all. Just not herself as she is usually all action
Oh, bless her.Frustratingly, lethargy like this can have many causes and isn't a specific sign.We would consider nausea, a source of pain (such as a pulled muscle, fractured tooth, ear infection), an unseen toxin ingestion etc.If she is really out of sorts, a vet visit is best in this instance.They will examine her and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics, anti inflammatories or pain releif.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.