Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I think my puppy has Kennel cough he is only 4months old, no

Hi I think my puppy has Kennel cough he is only 4months old
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about kennel cough yet? How long has this been going on with the puppy?
Customer: no I don’t seem to be able to get through to anyone today, I think it started a week ago, then seemed to ease, but yesterday and last night has got gradually worse
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Simba?
Customer: no I don’t think so

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that sweet Simba is not feeling well.

This hacking cough so much that it sounds like something is caught in his throat is typical for Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a contagious disease that is often caught at a kennel, groomer, dog park or vets office. Since this is airborne, Simba can catch this anywhere. If he is still acting normal and eating, this is most likely the cause for this cough. The good news is that this is self limiting and will resolve on its own within 1 to 2 weeks. You can give Robitussin DM at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds of his weight every 8 hrs to help calm down the cough. It is best to have your veterinarian examine Simba since this cough is also typical for heart disease and your veterinarian can run the diagnostics to determine the cause and appropriate treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks I did already know that I just thought he might need antibiotics as we live in between two other dogs and he needs to use the garden for toileting

Often antibiotics are given as a preventative measure but since this is partly a viral disease, it is not required. Other dogs could catch this whether he is in antibiotics or not. Unfortunately, we are not allowed, by law , to prescribe medications.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks I wasn’t aware of that

You are very welcome!!