JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

I have a two year old pug who has suffered with stress all

I have a two year old pug bitch who has suffered with stress all her life ,but in the last few weeks her stress has gone to another level she has now started urinating in the house ..what can I do to help her ..is there a medication that might help her…
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the Pug seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No she is always full of life
JA: What's the Pug's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Daisy?
Customer: i have three pugs who all have the same amount to eat but she is much heavier than them .

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, Daisy. urinating in the house could be due to a few reasons, it could be behavioural as you have mentioned, relating to stress and anxiety but it can also be due to medical reasons.

medical reasons for this would include:

a urinary tract infection- this can cause dogs to urinate in the house, they often pass small voids of urine regularly, they can often strain to pass urine and vocalise if this is uncomfortable this is usually due to bacteria in the urine which would require medications from your vets.

female dogs are prone to urinary incontinence where they often leak urine or are unable to hold the bladder as the muscle has become weak, this can occur through the day and night and often results in the dogs having a wet bed in the morning , again there are medications for this to help prevent the bladder leaking

increased urination can be related to an underlying condition with the kidneys - this can be due to degeneration of the kidney tissue where they dont function as well as they used to or other more concerning issues such as cysts or tumours on the kidneys

there are a few conditions which can lead to urination and also increased thirst- kidney issues can do this as mentioned above but some hormone imbalance problems can cause this too , another condition which can cause this is diabetes.

i would recommend making an appointment with your local vet for them to conduct a full clinical exam on Daisy and for them to analyse a urine sample to make sure there is no medical reason for the urinating in the house. they may advise blood tests to check the kidney function, check for hormone imbalances and to rule out diabetes and to do imaging to rule out there is no abnormalities in the urinary system structure

if urinary conditions are ruled out by your vet and its suspected this is a behavioural issue related to stress and anxiety then there is a few things your can try.

using remedies in the house such as pet remedy spray, adaptil plug ins can help with stress related issues.

tablets such as yucalm and zylkene can help with these also which can be purchased online

if these arent helping the next step would be to consult with an animal behaviourist. they will be able to come into your home and assess the situation and help you with Daisys stress and anxiety- if this is stress related, it can take a long time for this to be controlled

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much for your detailed reply…Daisy only finished a heavy season ten days ago so a urinary tract infection makes sense ,I will make an appointment with my vet on Monday to get this sorted,thanks again for your help.

no problem at all, this could well be related to her season, i hope she is ok

regards

Dr. Jake