JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My dog is now coming up to 11 years old but 4 past three

Customer Question

My dog is now coming up to 11 years old but 4 past three weeks he is no longer himself lost weight appetite and don’t really want to go out also has a very dry nose
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: yes just lays in one spot most of the day
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no but has lost a lot of weight
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pablo 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Pablo?
Customer: He has had a bit of a weeping eye
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is also not able to control going to the toilet and has been going for a piss in the house quite a lot
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 13 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, Pablo, i will provide a more detailed answer in my next message, please be patient while i type.

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 13 days ago.

the signs you are describing are ones we see commonly in older dogs. there are many conditions which could be causing these which i will describe below.

weight loss can be due to multiple reasons:

older animals intestines arent as good at absorbing protein which means they require a higher calorific diet to maintain the same muscle mass, for this reason you may wish to switch pablo onto a senior diet which may help with this

other reasons for weight loss can include conditions affecting the liver and kidneys which result in weight loss , this may also correlate with the signs of urinating in the house as kidney and liver issues can lead to excessive urination where animals are unable to control their bladder. urinary issues such as a urinary tract infection or prostate infection can also lead to inappropriate urination

lethargy could also be related to cardiovascular disease which would need to be assessed by your vet using a stethoscope

also, unfortunately we see cancer an internal tumours in older animals which can also lead to weight loss.

i would recommend making an appointment with your local vet for a full examination, they will be able to assess the heart and lungs to make sure there is no abnormalities here, they can feel the abdomen to check it feels normal. they may advise blood tests to assess the kidneys, liver and red and white blood cells. if they are suspecting anything concerning they may advise imaging in the form of x rays and ultrasound. i would recommend catching a urine sample in a clean plastic container which your vet will be able to test to check no sign of infection is present.

they will also be able to assess the eye and provide treatment for this is required.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake