Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I am lookingafter my sons dog. The dog has cut his poor it

I am lookingafter my sons dog. The dog has cut his poor it is belleeding quite heavily
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the dog cut himself? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: Yes its bleeding he did it within the last 10 miniutes I cant see what on
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy he about 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Buddy?
Customer: No I dont think so
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Some cuts require stitches as well as medicine such as antibiotics and anti inflammatories.Clean it with saline and dress it. Prevent further trauma by using a buster collar if needed to prevent licking.Could you please send a clear photo?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s stopped bleeding, Buddy isn’t limping. I think it’s between his claws . He wouldn’t let me dress it !
He has eaten his meal and has been outside with no problem.
So I think he is okay now thank you
Thank you for this additional information.
I'm glad to hear he seems better now.Are any of his claws damaged or broken?
Has he been lickiing or chewing at it?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No they look okay and he isn’t licking or chewing it
Ok, good.He may tolerate a shallow bath (either in the tub or a big bowl) of salt water to clean out whatever was bleeding.Monitor closely for any swelling, discomfort or lameness.If signs develop, a vet visit will be needed as there may be e.g. a laceration which is difficult to see.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.