Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Just enquiring about having my akita put to sleep as he is

Customer Question

Just enquiring about having my akita put to sleep as he is nearly 15 yrs but his back end is going and he keeps falling over plus his bodily functions are where he is just pooing and laying in it and weeing as he walks I am on pip so don't know if I qualify but we recently came with amaya but she is under my sons name I have just been awarded pip and I am retired thankyou
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the Akita been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: He is still eating and drinking but still losing weight finding it very difficult to get up and down, he has been on 3/4 of paracetamol for a few months but has no control over his bodily functions when he eats his back end gives way and he falls over
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No he hasn't he has a regular diet I think it's just old age
JA: And what's the Akita's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is nearly 15 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bobby?
Customer: No I think that's everything. I hope you can help.Thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm so sorry to hear Bobby is at the end of his life and understand how difficult this must be.He may have advanced arthritis, a compressed spinal cord or something else.Paracetamol is a mild pain releif and if you wanted to look into other options, some stronger pain relief such as Tramadol, Gabapantin and/or Buperenorphine could be prescribed and could make a significant difference.As he is losing weight, there may be more going on such as liver or kidney disease.Certainly, if you feel his quality of life is gone, given his age, euthanasia may well be the best thing.To see if you qualify for financial assistance, you need to call your local clinic directly and they'll be able to let you know.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your reply as much as we love Bobby we feel it’s time to let him go we wanted a vet to come out and do it where he will feel at home they have quoted 339 pounds then we will have to get in touch with pet cremation place ourselves the 339 pounds is home visit and injection which we feel is very high
Thank you for your reply.As Bobby is a big dog, this will be pushing up the cost. In my West London clinic, euthanasia costs from £120-200 depending on the dog's size.Home visits tend to vary in price depending on distance travelled. My clinic usually charges from £60-120.So while the quote is at the high end, it wouldn't be unusual. Due to the pandemic, you may not find another vet able to do a home visit but it is worth calling around just in case.