Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 1-1/2 year old Staffie/boxer mix is noticeably losing

Customer Question

My 1-1/2 year old Staffie/boxer mix is noticeably losing weight. Her eating drinking habits have not changed but she’s shrinking in size. What can I do to have a healthier girl? Please help me
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well this is the second time she has been bitten (I believe) over her left eye. I do not know for sure if it was a bit or if this is a re-occurring eye problem
JA: Is Bella bleeding a lot?
Customer: From her eye lid? No just when she scratches it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Bella has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.It isn't normal for a young adult to lose weight in this manner and if she is under weight this is concerning.Ensure she is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.She should be on a high quality, balanced adult dog food.I would advise some basic tests such as a blood, urine and stool analysis to ensure we aren't missing an underlying issue such as a liver shunt or malabsorption disorder.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok she has Dr.Potts as veterans but we have not been able to see her due to this Covid situation but I will see if I can reschedule her visits. Bella is a great part of my family so I would totally be devastated if anything go undetected
I absolutely understand.Hopefully she can be seen soon and there is nothing serious going on.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.