nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Rottweiler has not been keeping her food down for over a

Customer Question

Hi. My Rottweiler has not been keeping her food down for over a week now. But her stomach is tender too touch & bloated. She doesn't want to go for a walk & she's been constapated for 2 days. Really worried about her as she also keeps slobbering
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you today.

Given the current COVID-19 situation, our vets are handling a lot of sick animals and therefore this can delay our replies. That aside, can you tell me:

Is the belly pain new or since the signs started a week ago?

Can she keep any water down?

Is she straining like she needs to pass stool?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Any chance something harmful or non-edible (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc) was eaten?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count the breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Since a week ago the belly pain.
Yes she is drinking alot.
Yes she is straining to go the toilet hasn't been for 2days.
Yes she is drooling & can't keep her food down but her belly is bloated.
Her gums look pale
Can't really do the breathing as she is flat out on the floor
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How much will this cost as am not working & on benefits. I don't want to go overdrawn in my account ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I haven't got it. Sorry
Expert:  nekovet replied 14 days ago.

Oh dear,

I don't like the sound of this. Given she has had these signs so long and she is able to drink, a gut twist (emergency) is less likely. BUT those pale gums ring alarm bells of circulation compromise. That coupled with her collapse and belly pain really raise worries for a severe pancreatitis, possible gut blockage, perforation, tumor is she is older --and the bloating may be second to that and the not passing stool (though if she is not eating, she won't have much to pass). Also if she is not spayed, a pyometra (uterus infection) is another concern as it can cause signs like this due to bacterial toxins getting into the blood. And I have to say that given her state, I am worried that if you do not get her to an urgent care vet now, she may not make it. This sounds like a very guarded prognosis situation here. So, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/ . And while we could try to reduce her nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid. [Pepcid (0.25-0.5 mg per pound every 12-24 hours),Omeprazole (0.25-0.5 mg per pound every 24 hours), Esomeprazole (0.25-0.75 mg per pound once daily)], syringe puppy food and pumpkin (to push stool thru), I am truly worried about her. She needs a check +/- scan to check for these and head off risk of further deterioration. So, that is the best point of call. And I do understand costs are a concern, you need to see if the local vet will let you do a payment plan, else you need to ring one of the pet charity hospitals to have her seen. We don't want her suffering here.

RSPCA: https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/yourlocal/-/articleName/EM_your_local_RSPCA

PDSA: https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Dr. B