Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He’s just eaten a chunk of chocolate brownie, hives a

Customer Question

He’s just eaten a chunk of chocolate brownie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the chocolate was eaten?
Customer: hives a Cavapoo, 16 weeks old, about 6kgs and the chocolate brownie was about 5cm x 5cm
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since then?
Customer: Just discovered his chocolate chops tucking into it! He hasn’t thrown up or anything he seems quite relaxed about it all
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: teddy, 16 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Teddy?
Customer: nope, I don’t think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Do you have the recipe of the brownie and do you know roughly how much it weighed in grams?Toxicity is determine by the theobromine content, which is present in cocoa/chocolate. Dark chocolate and cocoa powder are more toxic than milk chocolate.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don’t have a recipe it was bought from a shop, but was half eaten and left by my daughter. If I was a betting man I would say it was less than 100g….
Ok, I understand.If it was a rich chocolate brownie with plenty of cocoa, this would be a toxic amount.The safest thing to do would be to bring him to the emergency vet now to induce vomiting safely before any adverse effects (such as an irregular heart beat, vomiting or a fever).
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, how is Teddy doing?