Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a small dog who is 12.he is drinking a massive amount

Customer Question

I have a small dog who is 12.he is drinking a massive amount of water!! Bit concerned
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: a few weeks he is okay in himself
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: he saw his vet few weeks ago for an ear infection not on any medication
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: wookey
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.An increase in thirst at this age tells us there is a medical issue that does need investigating.Wookey's sign is not specific and could have severe causes including liver or kidney disease, a hormonal disorder such as Cushing's disease, diabetes, a urinary tract infection etc.He needs to see a vet. They will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test and urine test. We should then know what is going on and and start the right treatment.At home, offer as much water as he needs and ensure he has plenty of opportunity to toilet.
If you can, measure his daily water intake as this will provide the vet with some useful information.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.