Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is shaking both back legs, he is stretching out his

Customer Question

My dog is shaking both back legs, he is stretching out his front paws occasionally, ate breakfast as normal this morning, then had a play with his brothers. It came on all of a sudden. He doesn't appear to be in pain. We are wondering if we can wait until tomorrow for the vets? Or if we should be seeing someone today?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: What do you mean by digest?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My dog is 13, and a x breed.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Aspen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello , you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Aspen has these symptoms.Has this ever happened before?Has he been exercising more than usual or did he possible injure himself?Is he happy to eat and be social?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi there, no he's been sleeping, not moving since around 1300. We were away for the weekend and he and our other 2 dogs were with the dog-sitter. Apparently he was fine until this morning, had breakfast as normal, then they had there 1\2 mad cap, aspen participated and after that, is when she said he started to shake and stretch
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry pressed the Tel call by accident happy to continue to talk
No worries, I won't call.Is he able to move?Would he be happy to walk e.g. 10 steps to get a piece of chicken?Does he shake constantly?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
able to move he just got up, doesn't want water
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just sitting now feeling very sorry for himself, I've patted him all over and I can't see anything which hurts him
is he still shaking?Is he eating?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He's just eaten some chicken but had to come to him
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is walking around but no particular objective
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He's just gone outside to have a wee
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Rear left leg dragging a little
Ok, thank you for this additional information.Finally, what breed is he?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He's a cocker spaniel crossed with a pug ....
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Could it be a form of bloat?
His signs of shaking, stretching and reluctance to move are likely to be caused by some sort of pain. I would be suspicious of e.g. a ruptured knee ligament or partially slipped disc in the lower back. We do know that Pug crosses are prone to slipped discs.Unfortunately without examining him it is impossible to say.A vet will examine him and perform both an orthopaedic and neurological assessment to determine what is going on. If concerned they may advise some testing such as an xray.If possible, I would have him seen today. This is because of his signs, how long they've been going on for and as he is a senior boy.I suspect, whatever is going on, he will benefit from anti inflammatories and pain relief and the sooner these are started the better.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do have some metacalm left over from a previous problem. Might this help
Bloat typically causes a bloated abdomen that is large and tense, like a balloon.
Dogs typically retch and gag and try to vomit.
They are restless and want to move.
They shouldn't have any limb dragging.So I think bloat is unlikely.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you.
No, it wouldn't be safe to give this without first having him assessed. It can do more harm than good if he has e.g. early liver or kidney disease or is dehydrated.
I do appreciate your desire to help him.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you formyour help
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great, well he's just walked into the kitchen, eaten and had some water, so cross fingers he seems to have peeked up. We will book himmin first thing, but otherwise if he deteriates will take him to emergency
Bless him, hopefully he continues to improve quickly.