Dr. Erin
Dr. Erin, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
109517959

I have a puppy German shepherd. For the last 4 days she has

Hi I have a puppy German shepherd. For the last 4 days she has had very runny stools today there has been blood & mucus also. She also seems not to have full control of her bladder.

Hello, this is Dr. Erin.  I am a licensed Veterinarian with over 20 years of experience.  You may see a phone call request that is automatically generated by the website. If you prefer, select the phone call option for an additional fee.  You may ignore the request, and we will continue the chat via text. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you.

Veterinary Practice Laws in my state only allow me to provide general advice regarding your pet’s health condition. I cannot provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications without performing an in- person physical exam on your pet.  I will help you decide if the problem with your pet is something you can manage at home, or if additional diagnostic testing or treatment needs to be performed by a veterinarian.

It takes a little time to write my answers to you, so please be patient as I may be writing a message to you or another concerned pet owner.

Can you tell me more about your puppy?

Name?

Age?

How long have you had her?

Has she had any vaccinations yet?

Is she taking any medications?  Been dewormed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi she is called Wanda and is 17 weeks.She had all vaccinations & is due to take her working tablet this week but we didn’t due to her bad stomach.We have had her for 4 weeks now.She doesn’t take any medication
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
worming

Has anything changed over the past week or so?  New food?  New treats?  Drank from pond water?  Table food?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
she was given some sausage treats & a rabbit ear from a friend earlier in the week. She also tends to steal food from our 3 year old so it’s possible to ate something he had.

Ok.  So if dietary change may be part of our problem, we can try to work with that - German SHepherds are pretty notorious for having a very sensitive digestion so going forward do your best to limit the number and amount of new foods until you know how she handles it.

For now, reducing portion size and changing to a highly digestible diet is where I would start.  50:50 ratio of boiled white rice and boiled white chicken.  no salt, no seasoning and no fats.    Portion size 50% of what you normally feed…. Hopefully this is digested successfully and then you can start increasing the portion and then blending back to her regular meal.   If diarrhea persists seeing your veterinarian to be sure it’s not something more serious is advised.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you so much we will try

Hoping it’s a simple fix for you!   Have a great week.