Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I just messaged about 15 year old Casper - could you send

Hi Pearl I just messaged about 15 year old Casper - could you send the payment link to my phone please - Casper possible heart condition shallow breathing and tongue gone grey
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: he had a cough since Christmas - the cough has now stopped. The shallow breathing is all the time while awake but becomes more regular when he sleeps
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: casper 15
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Casper?
Customer: Overwight 15kg
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Casper has these signs.Has he been diagnosed with a heart condition?
Is he on any medicine?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My vet suggested a heart condition but wanted to refer to a heart specialist in Derby rather than treat it himself. Previously a short course of steroids and antibiotics
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.Neither steroids nor antibiotics would treat heart disease.His signs do sound like congestive heart failure. This could be confirmed with a chest xray.Treatment should be started ASAP and may include diuretics and ace inhibitors.This is something a GP vet can help you with and is not usually something a patient is reffered for.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would a further course of steroids give him some extra time and a better quality of life?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will call the my vet
It doesn't help with the symptoms of heart disease, no.Steroids can reduce any pain associated with joint disease, improve appetite and reduce inflammation.If he has heart disease, there are more appropriate treatment options.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.