Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 10 year old Yorkie is fit and well, eats well and is

My 10 year old Yorkie is fit and well, eats well and is happy to go wherever I go BUT she will not drink unless I`m touching her. Have tried many different bowls and refusing to stand by her, but cannot bear to deprive her of water in this way, so eventually give in. Can you help please?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice this change in thirst? Has the Yorkie lost or gained any weight recently?
Customer: Not sure, but it has now gone on for quite a long time. Coco doesn`t seem to have changed physically in any way - she`s not over- or under weight
JA: What's the Yorkie's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Coco?
Customer: I don`t think so, three or four months ago she had a `pimple` removed from her back, but the anaesthetic didn`t seem to bother her at all - she came home and immediately returned to her normal self
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Does she eat wet food?Are her gums pink and wet?Any signs of being unwell such as lethargy ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She doesn`t have too many teeth left; she has a scoop of biscuits twice a day, plus about a walnut sized portion of wet food with each feed.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am happy to continue typing - am 92 and not too good on the phone.
Thank you.As she is eating some wet food, keep in mind this is about 80% water, so she is getting some water this way.Small dogs have a very small requirement for water, especially when elderly and not active.Unless she is unwell, has dry gums or very dark/concentrated urine, I wouldn't be concerned about her not drinking any free water. Many dogs do not. It is actually a sign of good kidney health.There is no need to encourage water intake. She may drink when touched as she thinks it is what you want her to do and has learned to do this.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try not to be concerned about her intake of water.
Ok, great.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.