Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 10 week old puppy has had diarrhoea for the past 7 days

My 10 week old puppy has had diarrhoea for the past 7 days and off his food.
We took him to vet on Friday and he gave a worming tablet and ProMax- no worms have came out and puppy is still unwell. He is eating chicken (in small amounts) but it comes straight back out him. We returned to vet today and he has given another worming treatment (powder on food) and promax again. He has also recommended we try him on Chappy food.However, he did not advise what we do if the chappy food agrees with him, this is an adult dog food and therefore I understand can’t be used for puppies long term. I’m not sure how we would proceed and what to do if the above doesn’t work?Appreciate any advice.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, I wonder if you can help me on the above ?
I'm sorry to hear your pup is unwell and appreciate your concern.To clarify, we don't always see dead worms as they can be digested, so it's not an issue if none are seen. Be sure to continue to worm regularly.Is the vet happy that the puppy is well hydrated, growing well and in good health?Has the pup's stool been analysed?I personally would not recommend Chappy for a puppy. It doesn't contain enough calories or calcium and isn't highly palatable so may be refused. Short term, it is better to give chicken and rice or a sensitivity diet suitable for puppies such as Hills I/D.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi, im at work so would prefer online advice if possible plea
I am happy to continue talking via typing and have replied above. Please ignore any phone call requests.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi, the vet didn’t express concern, he does seem to be putting on some weight and is drinking water daily. We tried just chicken for 3 days should we continue with jus that?
Pups stool hasn’t been analysed, the vet did want to try him on antibiotics but changed his mind based on the fact he was too small to be able to get a correct dosage on snapping tablet
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He is still quite happy and playing, albeit sleeping a bit more and is pooping 15+ times a day
That's a lot of poo!I would wonder if he may have a protozoan infection such as Giardia or a bacterial infection.Given the frequency and duration of the diarrhoea, I would want a stool analysis performed ASAP.Chicken and rice is a good option, yes.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay am I best to continue on chicken and rice for the next few days and use the further medication vet gave me and if no improvement call back and offer to bring in a sample?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The vet originally gave a tablet for the worming on Friday and we have powder to sprinkle on his food this time round, is it normal to get worming treatment like that few days apart?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Also his temp was taken and was fine but vet did say his heart rate was a bit fast
if he seems well, this is a good plan.Stool samples should be collected a small bit each day for 3 days (a pooled sample). So start collecting now in a tupperware container. It can stay in the fridge. Gross, I know! However, the provides the most accurate results.
I would presume the wormers are 2 different products? They should have different active ingredients e.g. Drontal vs Panacur.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you so much! I assume they are different ingredients but am not 100% sure as he gave the first tablet and I didn’t see the packet
Ah, frustrating.There are a multitude of worners out there and they often treat different types of parasitic infestations.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is it ok for the samples to mix or should the remain separated in the box?
They should mix, yes.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help!!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, sorry to come back but our pup has just pooped something and I’m not sure if it’s a worm and therefore normal or something sinister
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is there a function to send a photograph?
you should be able to attach a photo to this chat. If you can't, you can email me directly at***@******.***.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (TST6Z4P)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I think that worked
Hmm... honestly, I'm a little stumped.
It's tricky to tell from a photo and my best guess would be mucus mixed with a small amount of blood. If you have the sample, I would bring it to the vet to see in person.Another consideration would be if she has eaten something she shouldn't have such as a crayon, kid's slime or a toy?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it doesn’t look like worms? It was my partner that went out with him and never told me until he came back with the photo and by then it was too late and in the bin, typical!! Definitely not eaten anything funny , we don’t have kids so nothing like that around the house- I’m stumped myself! It’s definitely odd looking.
Worms typically look like strands of spaghetti, or we may see grains or rice which are the tapeworm segments. Pin worms are rare. Other parasites are miscoscopic.I would think probably mucus (looks like snot/slime) which tells us the large gut is inflamed.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ah I see, that makes sense. Should I wait the further 3 days for the previous treatment the vet gave me to kick in or call back in the morning?
If pup is well and there are no further "odd'' poos, I'd continue with the treatment plan.However, it's never a bad idea to update the vet and seek further confirmation.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help with this!
Not a problem!