Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a cavachon puppy born 14/08 The paste few days his

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: We have a cavachon puppy born 14/08 The paste few days his poop has been soft and sometimes he does a bit of diarrhea as well Yesterday he popped 8 times roughly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Rico
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My husband thinks he saw a bit of red in his poop yesterday as well
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Rico has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.Is he still happy to eat and play?When was he last treated for worms and which product was used?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Loose stool is very common in puppies and can have many causes.

It isn't unusual for there to be a small amount of fresh red blood or mucus due to the intestinal inflammation.

We would consider:

• Parasites

• A viral or bacterial infection

• Abrupt diet change

• Eating something they shouldn't have

• Etc

Ensure Rico is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur. Pups should be de-wormed monthly at his age.

Start some probiotic anti diarrhoea paste e.g. Protexin Prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop.

Stop any treats/chews and offer just chicken and rice for now. Once the stool improves, you can gradually re-introduce his regular puppy food.

The main thing is that Rico is alert, happy to eat and playful. His gums should remain pink in colour and wet to the touch.

If Rico becomes unwell or the diarrhoea persists, a vet visit is important.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions regarding Rico.

Take care,

Linda