Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My female miniature maltese has started with a dry cough &

Customer Question

My female miniature maltese has started with a dry cough & gagging but no vomiting.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dryness? Has the Maltese been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: it’s been on & off for a few weeks. She’s been licking her front paws.
JA: And what's the Maltese's name and age?
Customer: Missy & she’s 7
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Missy?
Customer: no just that her breath is really smelly after she’s sneezed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

I am so sorry that Missy is not feeling well. It appears that she may have an Upper Respiratory Infection or allergies causing this cough. This can also be caused by heart disease so it is important that you have your veterinarian examine Missy. In the meantime, give her Robitussin DM, available at the local chemist over the counter , at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs to help calm down the cough. Since she is also sneezing, give her Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hrs to help reduce the congestion and discomfort. If this is no5 enough, it is best to have your veterinarian examine Missy so they can run the diagnostics to determine the cause and appropriate treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thank you

You are very welcome!!