Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

She seems to have a sticky eye, Only noticed it this morning

Customer Question

She seems to have a sticky eye
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Only noticed it this morning there is puss coming from her right eye
JA: Has the dog been licking or rubbing the pus?
Customer: Not that I've noticed around her eye looks very wet and sticky
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Darcie shields Age 9 this year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No she is usually fit and well
She seems fine in herself
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 18 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Many times they can have ocular discharge from time to time. Often this comes from irritation or debris that may have entered the eye. At times when there is excessive redness and swelling then that can be more cause for concern. However when the eyes are not so severe, the following can be a good place to begin with. Here is some information for your review on eyes. For ocular issues there is a topical eye ointment called Microcyn or Vetericyn and they have a lubricating ointment to soothe and assist the eye health. These is over the counter and can be found online like at Amazon or at some pet stores. They can be used 3 times a day to assist with the eyes. Additionally, flushing the eye with Vetericyn Eye flush, if this is not available you can look for human flush. This can help to remove buildup of debris and irritants that may accumulate on the eyes. It is most helpful to keep the eyes clean and free of material buildup.Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.
We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Darcie  today. I wish Darcie  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.