Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She’s a 15 yr old JRS. she seems to sleep all day abd wakes-

Customer Question

She’s a 15 yr old JRS. she seems to sleep all day abd wakes- wakes.all night. Pawing at the bed and pillows and walking on my head. I had no sleep last night and don’t know what to do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the dog's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: no that’s all good
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no - she does occasionally but then her tummy makes really bad noises and she eats grass and then gets over it. So it’s not that
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: millie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Millie?
Customer: she had her right eye removed last year due to glaucoma and is quite deaf
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

By 'JRS' do you mean ***** ***** Terrier / JRT?

When did Millie's symptoms start?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
to JRT. About six months ago but getting worse

And when was the pressure last checked in her remaining eye?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No - I just saw £5 and paid with PayPal then saw it was £27 - I don’t wZnt to spend another £16
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not at all
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No eye pressure checks since in other eye

Please ignore any phone call requests; the website sends these automatically.

We can continue talking via typing.

With regards the £27 subscription fee, please make customer services aware if you do not wish to go ahead with this.

Thank you for clarifying.

Does she have any other signs such as weight loss, stiff or slow walking, panting, coughing or confusion?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No other symptoms but looks a bit confused sometimes- I’m assuming it’s dementia but need something to make her sleep at night
Thank you for this additional information.
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks
Given Millie's history of severe glaucoma, which tends to be bilateral, it is imperative we have the pressure checked in her remaining eye. It may be that it is high which is causing pain and trouble sleeping / settling.At her age, we also need to check for any underlying source of pain such as a rotten tooth, arthritis or ear infection.Any pain will mean getting to sleep and staying asleep at night would be impossible, regardless of supplements or medication. So, assessing for and treating any pain is step one.During the day, we should try to hold her attention and keep her occupied with age appropriate activities such as scent walks, food puzzles and lick mats. However, let her to sleep if she wants to as, at her age, she may need up to 20 hours sleep.I'd ensure she has an orthopaedic bed that is easy for her to get in and out of.You may find using an Adaptil collar and starting her on some natural calming supplements such as Zylkene helps too.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I’ll get the vet to check her over
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Why do you think it’s bilateral?
Hopefully we get an answer and can start a treatment that gets her sleeping more at night.I understand how difficult it must be to have her keeping you awake all night.
If her glaucoma was primary, this is a bilateral disease, though one eye may be affected before the other.However, whether or not both eyes will be affected, depends on what caused the glaucoma.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I’ll get her checked x
Ok, sure.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have over the next days and weeks.Wishing her all the very best.

Anything else, please do let me know!