Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Every now and then my dog lifts her hind leg sometimes as if

Every now and then my dog lifts her hind leg sometimes as if she wants to roll over so u can tickle het She is in no pain but vet said she might need an X ray and I'm not sure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Comes and goes usually after a long walk She's a Labrador three year old
JA: Is she taking any medications?
Customer: Vets give her some antiinflammatory
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Poppy threw year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No they pulled her hind leg back and said she was resisting but I find her to go all nervous and shakey in vets anyway
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.As Labradors are so notorious for hip dysplasia, spondylosis and other joint disease, I agree we need to be cautious here.Your vet will be experienced in performing orthopaedic exams and will know if there is cause for concern. I would take their suggestion and go ahead and xray.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well they said see how she is off anti inflammatorys or it comes back. She's in no pain and always active, not overweight so not sure if she is being a bit submissive as does it more when she's nervous
I agree, an anti inflammatory and rest trial would be sensible.
However, imaging is important if signs continue.This would not be a typical sign of being submissive, particularly if only one limb is affected.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But I don't understand why she would do it in frequently but when she's in the vets it's as if she's more nervous and lifts it more frequently
There are several considerations.She may have heightened anxiety which causes muscle tension and increased pain.As the vet has manipulated the joint, it could increase the discomfort.She's on high alert and more aware of parts of the body that feel "off".

I hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions about Poppy.

Take care,

Linda.