Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 12 year old chihuahua had a lump removed on her stomach 2

Customer Question

My 12 year old chihuahua had a lump removed on her stomach 2 years ago. Now another lump has occurred and they are talking about mammary strip removal. Her chest X-rays are clear, but there’s a slight rise in enzymes in her liver but they said it’s not high enough for them to be concerned so they are putting her on fluids for 24hours before her operation. I am afraid this operation is too hard on a dog of her age, but I also want to try and give her the best possible chance.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That’s everything thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear she had another mammary lump and understand your concern.Was the previous lump analysed when removed?Has the new growth been biopsied?Do you have a clear photo of the growth?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If the initial lump was not removed entirely and was confirmed as a cancer, we would be highly concerned this was a recurrence of a mammary cancer.

If she was neutered later in life, or has not been neutered, this also makes cancer more likely.

A mammary strip is advised when more than one gland is affected, to minimise the risk of requiring another surgery in the future.

At 12, healthy Chihuahuas could potentially have many years of good quality life left as many live well into their teens. The smaller a dog, the longer the life span (in general).

Typically, removing growths from the outside of a body is not an especially taxing or difficult surgery for a dog to recover from. So, I would be leaning towards going ahead with the surgery in this case.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions about your Chihuahua.

Take care,

Linda.