Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Need to ask advice regarding vaccines, Vizsla dog, She has

Customer Question

Need to ask advice regarding vaccines
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Vizsla dog
JA: The Expert will be able to answer your vaccine questions one-on-one, plus any follow-ups you may have. Are there any more details you'd like to add before I connect you?
Customer: She has had her first vaccine and is due her second on Monday but we live in a flat and have been taking her out to the toilet in a communal court yard
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi there, myself and my partner have taken our Vizsla puppy to a secluded Airbnb in Surrey because we wanted to crate train her and it is too loud with her crying to do at our flat. We are now worried that other dogs have stayed here and it maybe wasn’t the best thing to do if she has not had both vaccines. Do you recommend that we go home? I am very worried that she catches something. We have not let her walk around and only go outside the door for the toilet. ThanksStella
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your question. Could you confirm how old your pup is and at what age she had her first vaccination?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She is 9 weeks old. She had Versican plus vaccine on the 4th of November
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry 02/11/21
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My boyfriend has got it wrong sorry - 01/11/21
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Due her 2nd on the 22/11/21
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

I see. OK, so the main concern here is that she is not fully vaccinated for infectious disease such as parvovirus. I would think that the risk for this is low in a an apartment unless there has been a dog with the infection present prior to you staying there. Generally speaking until fully vaccinated it is advisible to only allow your pup in your own home or garden, or those of friends with dogs which are known to be vaccinated. I agree there is some risk here, but the risk is likely fairly small.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. What about the Airbnb? We just won’t let her out? The place has been thoroughly cleaned prior to us arriving.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I appreciate the advice. I am just now worrying as it was a rash decision due to the noise she was making in her crate
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

I would say that the risk is low if the Airbnb was properly cleaned with a bleach based cleaner. However I suppose the whole point of being there help with crate and toilet training is somewhat defeated if you cannot take her outside.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The main thing was crate training as she is toilet trained already. Somewhere that it won’t wake up our neighbours. Thanks again - much appreciated
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

OK. You're welcome. Good luck with it!